• Home
  • Downloads
  • Return to Portal
  • 15. Public Stores

    The Public Stores was built at the same time as the Custom House, in 1819. However, the two are not connected by any interior doors.


    The space served as a bonded warehouse, where the US Customs Service stored goods until duties and storage fees could be paid by merchants.


    To learn more about Salem’s involvement in the triangle trade, visit the History of Slavery at Salem Maritime tour.